This weekend was a little crazy, which is why the latest Summer Cocktail is a bit late in posting. However, in the spirit of Father’s Day, it’s an appropriate time to finally share this delicious recipe. Not only did this weekend celebrate all things “dad”, but in our house it was the unofficial kick-off to summer and the season of the BBQ.
I came up with this concept of pairing freshly squeezed 100% rudy red grapefruit juice with St. Germain because it already has those wonderful florally citrus/grapefruit notes, instead of the usual Triple Sec. And because limes go with grapefruit and tequila so well, this was practically a no-brainer. Everything compliments each other perfectly. Grapefruit is bitter sweet, tart, natural, fresh, crisp and powerful, just like good ole Dad.
Originally known as “the forbidden fruit”, it wasn’t until the 1800′s that a Jamaican farmer called the fruit “grapefruit” for the grape-like cluster in which it grows on trees. In 1823, grapefruit made its way to the United States in the form of seeds brought by either Spanish or French settlers to Florida.
And, it was about the time of the great stock market crash in 1929 when an accidental discovery of red grapefruit growing on a pink grapefruit tree gave rise to the Texas Red Grapefruit Industry.
WOW! Just like Dad: filling your tummy with a tasty goodness and your head with a wealth of knowledge, all at the same time.
So, if you love St. Germain, aren’t afraid of tequila, and want a summery refreshing seasonal cooler, well then you’ve met your match. Just make sure you squash the rim of your glass in salt and sugar, garnish with lime and then sit back, smile & sip.
- 2 oz tequila
- 1.5 oz St. Germain liquor
- 1 fresh lime, halved and squeezed for juice, plus extra lime wedges for garnish
- 8-12 oz ruby red 100% grapefruit juice
- ice cubes
- equal parts granulated sugar & sea salt
1. Slightly dip the rim of your desired drinking glass into a shallow bowl of water, then “smash” into the sugar & sea salt mixture to coat the rim. Set aside.
2. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full. Add the tequila, St. Germain and 1 fresh juiced lime and shake shake shake for at least 20-30 seconds.
3. Strain into your rimmed glass, and top with grapefruit juice to fill glass/to taste. Garnish with a lime wedge. So yummy!