Elderly man dies in house fire on Hoke O’Kelly Mill Road

Tragedy struck just down the street this morning. Gwinnett Fire officials have reported that an elderly man died in an early morning house fire on Hoke O’Kelly Mill Road. The man lived by himself.

Fire officials say that a family member living on the same property in a different house reported the fire at 7:10 this morning. The person to respond to the house was a Gwinnett County police officer, and he wasn’t able to access the house because of the flames and heat. Fire fighters were likewise prevented from entering the home due to the conditions.

When responders were able to access the house, they found the elderly man inside. He was unresponsive, and transported to Gwinnett Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. Privacy laws prevent the name of the man from being released.

Fire officials believe the fire was accidental, and caused by some kind of electrical source. Officials also said that the contents of the house may have contributed to the man’s inability to escape, and impeded fire fighters from gaining access to the house.

Author: Jason

Jason Brooks is the owner and editor of Grayson Local. A resident of Grayson for over 14 years, he loves the Grayson community and the potential it holds. A former pastor, Jason now works as a freelance writer. He has written for The John Maxwell Company, North Point Ministries, The Ford Motor Company, Catalyst, and several regional magazines as well. You can follow Jason on Twitter (@JasonMuses).

Share This Post On