Early-morning Snellville officer-involved shooting, 3 officers struck by vehicles

Officers responded to a “Theft in Progress” call in the 4200 block of Gray Raptor Court in Snellville. The caller reported that two males wearing dark colored clothing were trying to break into vehicles. The caller gave radio dispatch continuous updates on the suspect’s location. When officer’s arrived at the location, they approached the suspect’s on foot. When the suspect’s saw the officer’s approaching, they fled and got into a red, 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan that was later determined to be stolen out of DeKalb County. The driver struck a parked vehicle, struck one officer who was on foot, and then continued driving the vehicle.

A short time later, at 2:05 AM, the suspects abandoned the vehicle at Raptor Place and Raptor Court and fled on foot. Responding officer’s gave chase on foot but were not able to apprehend the suspect’s. At 3:09 AM, dispatcher’s received a suspicious person call in the 4200 block of Medlock Park Drive in Snellville. The caller reported that two males with coats and hoods were running away from a car as the vehicle’s theft alarm sounded. The males were running with back packs and flashlights. At 3:23 AM, the Gwinnett Police helicopter pilot witnessed a black, 2010 Infiniti QX56 SUV traveling at a high rate of speed. The vehicle jumped a curb near Yosemite Park Lane and continued towards Mink Livsey Road.

Several officer’s spotted the vehicle on Mink Livsey Road near Lee Road. The suspect’s turned left onto Bryant Drive from Mink Livsey Road and then made a right onto Notting Glen Lane. Notting Glen Lane was a dead end cul-de-sac. At that point, several officer’s knowing that the road was a dead end, got out of their vehicle to prepare for a foot pursuit. The suspect’s drove the vehicle at officer’s striking two them. An officer fired several rounds at the driver side window of the vehicle. The suspect’s continued past the officer’s. At 3:32 AM, the Gwinnett Police helicopter pilot witnessed the two suspect’s wreck. The vehicle was abandoned by both suspect’s near Highpoint Road at Springdale Drive. Both suspect’s fled on foot. At 3:37 AM, one of the suspect’s was apprehended by responding officer’s.

The suspect in custody has been identified as 16 year old Atiba Hunter from Atlanta. He was treated and released at the scene by paramedics for a bullet graze wound. He has been charged with three counts of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, two counts of theft by receiving and one count of entering auto. The second suspect has not been apprehended at this point. However, efforts are underway to identify and locate him.

Police aviation and K-9 resources were utilized to search a one to two mile radius from the final crash scene in an attempt to locate the second suspect. Those attempts have not been successful. All three officer’s have been treated and released from a local hospital. The most serious injury sustained by police was a leg injury, possibly a broken foot. The other two officer’s sustained minor injuries. At this point, this is still an active investigation and more information will be released as it becomes available.

Author: Jason

Jason Brooks is the owner and editor of Grayson Local. A resident of Grayson for over 14 years, he loves the Grayson community and the potential it holds. A former pastor, Jason now works as a freelance writer. He has written for The John Maxwell Company, North Point Ministries, The Ford Motor Company, Catalyst, and several regional magazines as well. You can follow Jason on Twitter (@JasonMuses).

Share This Post On